Who am I? 15 things you never knew
OK, so I love writing this blog. It's fresher than my old one, and it gives me an outlet for my monkey mind that can't stop coming up with ideas for living a kinder, calmer life. But lately, I've been troubled by something: I feel like I'm writing to you anonymously. I haven't revealed too much of myself to you at all. And that bothers me because some of my favourite bloggers (see below) entertain me most when they're knee-deep in the nitty gritty of their real lives.
A good friend once told me I am difficult to know. I was shocked. Mostly because he was right. I do hold my cards close to my chest, at least until I am confident in someone's company. That's not to say I'm a shrinking violet: I love nothing more than commanding a room and making everyone laugh or relax. But unless you know me well, you may not know me well. If you get what I mean.
So, to kick off the new year (or new-ish year at this point), I give you 15 things to know about me:
- I'm 45 in March, but I still feel about 30 in my mind. I wonder whether that will ever change?
- I've worked for myself as a freelance copywriter and editor for 20 years, and I've had a great run of clients. I'll keep writing until I can't.
- Blog ideas come to me in a flood. Every single day. Especially when I'm getting ready in the morning. If only I could keep a notebook in the shower!
- Our time living in Salt Lake City, Utah is coming to an end in about eight months. I will miss the beauty of the landscape and the distinct seasons -- plus the need for a cosy collection of winter coats and neck warmers.
- I have two beautiful sisters who I miss dearly. One up (three years older), and one down (three years younger), which puts me slap-bang in the middle.
- I have a burning desire to help women who feel overwhelmed and secretly afraid they're not enough. I hope in some tiny way I do that.
- I've always wanted to run a bed and breakfast place in the country, and return to a small country town like the one I grew up in. These days, I'm less interested in the stress of running a B&B, but I'll always want to live in the country.
- I have a lot of wonderful friends and I don't take any of them for granted. I feel very lucky to have them in my life.
- Outside my window right now, it's snowing bucketloads.
- My favourite breakfast is Sarah Wilson's paleo muggins. Try it.
- My favourite blog of all time is Baby Mac. My other favourites are Champagne Cartel, Mummy Wife Me, Smaggle, Styling You, and Down to Earth. Check them out. (I'll give you a longer list of awesome bloggers and authors soon.)
- We just had the most amazing white Christmas. We had a houseful of people here and it looked like I'd rung "White Christmas Productions" and ordered a foot of snow on Christmas Day, it was that perfect. But we just got lucky. Really lucky.
- I am a major country music fan. Last September we saw the king of country, George Strait, live in concert in Vegas. Biggest bucket list moment. I want to get to Nashville before we leave here.
- I love the smell of wood smoke and jasmine. And fresh pine tree. They make me teary.
- The one thing I want to get out of every day is a feeling of calm and control, plus joy and gratitude. It's not always possible, but it stretches me constantly.
What about you? Do you think you're difficult to get to know, or an open book?
What's your favourite breakfast? What's your favourite blog?
What's happening outside your window right now?